To solve this problem without algebra, I used proportional reasoning. Specifically, I re-interpreted the givens as the average fractional amounts of each dish that one guest would eat, and then constructed a ratio of those values. By extension, this ratio also represents the relative proportions of each type of dish for the whole dinner party. Since there must be an integer number of dishes of each type, we simply scale up the lowest whole number expression of that ratio until the total number of dishes is equal to 65. The number of any one of the types of dishes can then be used to determine the number of guests. I think that culturally diverse examples with rich imagery have the potential of engaging a broader swath of students, and there is little to know disadvantage of using such examples so long as the teacher makes sure to not appropriate other cultures or reduce examples to a sort of tokenism.
Hi Adam, Tyler and Megan! Looks like an interesting lesson (and I hope that the Giant Soup Can might have been some inspiration). Make sure you are clear who is leading what when, and how much time learners will have to work on their designs. Also, be sure to do a brief assessment of learning and wrap up the lesson before the 15 minutes are up!
ReplyDelete